Please note, our services are available to everyone regardless of age, race, sex, or religious affiliation. Our services are covered by most health insurance plans. We also offer a sliding scale to those who qualify, please call our office for more information.
- Barnabas Brochure – Summary information about The Barnabas Center
- Barnabas Information Packet – Information about appointments, confidentiality, fees, and payments, as well as forms for new clients.
The list below includes a additional resources available to read online, print, or even to e-mail to someone else.
Scriptures for Difficult Times
"Dear brothers and sisters, whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy. (3) For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. (4) So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be strong in character and ready for anything."
Romans 5:3 (NLT)
"We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us--they help us learn to endure. (4) And endurance develops strength of character in us, and character strengthens our confident expectation of salvation. (5) And this expectation will not disappoint us. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love. (6) When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners."
Hebrews 12:1 (NLT)
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress. And let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us. (2) We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, on whom our faith depends from start to finish. He was willing to die a shameful death on the cross because of the joy he knew would be his afterward. Now he is seated in the place of highest honor beside God's throne in heaven."
Psalms 23:4 (NLT)
"Even when I walk through the dark valley of death, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me. (5) You prepare a feast for me in the presence of my enemies. You welcome me as a guest, anointing my head with oil. My cup overflows with blessings. (6) Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the LORD forever."
Psalms 86:16 (NLT)
"Look down and have mercy on me. Give strength to your servant; yes, save me, for I am your servant. (17) Send me a sign of your favor. Then those who hate me will be put to shame, for you, O LORD, help and comfort me."
Psalms 94:16 (NLT)
"Who will protect me from the wicked? Who will stand up for me against evildoers? (17) Unless the LORD had helped me, I would soon have died. (18) I cried out, "I'm slipping!" and your unfailing love, O LORD, supported me. (19) When doubts filled my mind, your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer."
Isaiah 61:1 (NLT)
"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is upon me, because the LORD has appointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to comfort the brokenhearted and to announce that captives will be released and prisoners will be freed."
2 Corinthians 1:3 (NLT)
"All praise to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. He is the source of every mercy and the God who comforts us. (4) He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When others are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. (5) You can be sure that the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ. (6) So when we are weighed down with troubles, it is for your benefit and salvation! For when God comforts us, it is so that we, in turn, can be an encouragement to you. Then you can patiently endure the same things we suffer. (7) We are confident that as you share in suffering, you will also share God's comfort."
Philippians 2:1 (NLT)
"Is there any encouragement from belonging to Christ? Any comfort from his love? Any fellowship together in the Spirit? Are your hearts tender and sympathetic? (2) Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one heart and purpose."
2 Thessalonians 2:16 (NLT)
"May our Lord Jesus Christ and God our Father, who loved us and in his special favor gave us everlasting comfort and good hope, (17) comfort your hearts and give you strength in every good thing you do and say."
Parenting Do's and Don'ts
Overcoming by Faith Church, June 4, 2006
Practical things we see at the office
- Parents tend to spend more time and energy on provision than with kids cultivating the relationship
- Parents and kids don’t trust each other because “do as I say not as I do”.
- PARENTS WE MAY BE THE ONLY DEFINITION OF NORMAL OUR KIDS WILL EVER SEE!
- Who is raising your kids? You or TV, MTV, music, movies, friends?
- Who is driving the bus? My 4 yr. old client that forces Parents to “negotiate” with them
Train up a Child
- Proverbs 22:6 , "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."
- HOW THEY ARE WIRED - Like you, we spent many years trying to help our child find “the way they should go. We tried dance, gymnastics, piano, and of course soccer. Like you, our kids probably will not be professionals at these things but all of them helped her find “the way she should go.”
- Parents what did we dream for our kids when they were babies?
- Parents, what are your children’s dreams today?
- Proverbs 29:18, "Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he."
- Looking back
- There are lessons of life from “Daddy I do it” to “Daddy I’m scared.”
- As parents we have tried to help you find that balance between independence and being available when you want to be dependent.
- Young people even the difficult times have produced growth in your life (learn from it!)
- Don’t forget them, it will help you in the future and it can also provide you with an opportunity to help others going through the same thing.
- Don’t lose what brought you to the dance!!
- Satan is real and if you don’t stay connected he will pick you off like a lion kills a wildebeest
Daddy “We have lived it”
Leave a legacy
- How do you want to be remembered?
- What’s more important, your title or your testimony?
Teens and Parent Time
- Who is raising your kids? You or TV, MTV, music, movies, friends?
- Teen pregnancy rates
- 15% of all births in Chatham County are from teens
- Nationwide 34% of all girls will become pregnant by age 20
- 62% of all 12th graders have had sex
- 33% of all 9th graders
- Vision statement
- Tony Evans quote: "girls don't wear clothes that are too tight, Too short, or to low”
- Do remember kids spell love TIME.
- Do pick and chose your battles, you may win the battle but lose the war.
- Do spend time recognizing your child’s bent.
- DO PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH!!
- Don’t put off for tomorrow what you can do today with your kids.
- Do teach them how to have FUN! Laugh with your kids (slides of families having fun?) Movie clip?
- Go on vacations together.
- Be your kid's cheerleader.
Facts About Underage Drinking
- Survey of kids 12-17 average person took their first drink at 13
- Youth who use alcohol before 15 are four times more likely to be dependent on alcohol than adults who took their first drink at legal age of 21
- Alcohol kills six times more young people that illicit drugs combined
- Alcohol is linked to as many as 2/3 of all date rapes and sexual assaults of teens and college students
- More than 67% of young people who start drinking before the age of 15 will try an illicit drug
- Kids who drink are 7 ½ times more likely to try any illicit drug, 22 times more likely to try pot and 50 times more likely to use cocaine than children who never drank
- About 10.4 million Americans between ages 12-20 had at least one drink last month; of these 6.8 million were “binge” drinkers (consuming 5 or more drinks in a row on a single occasion
- 80% of high school seniors have used alcohol; 62% have smoked cigarettes; 49% have used pot; 9% cocaine
- About 2/3 of teens who drink say they can buy their own beverages
- Students with a Grade Point Average of D or F drink three times as much as those who make A’s
- The typical American young person will see 100,000 beer commercials by age 18
- TEENAGERS WHOSE PARENTS TALK TO THEM REGULARLY ABOUT THE DANGERS OF DRUGS ARE 42% LESS LIKELY TO USE DRUGS THAN THOSE WHOSE PARENTS DON’T, YET ONLY 1 IN 4 TEENS REPORT HAVING THESE CONVERSATIONS